She’s Mine

26 Aug

We are always on the hunt for unique pieces….one no one would dream of buying. We buy them, take them home…and then asks our husband and friends to hoist them on the wall with 7 inch steel bolts….yes ma’am I did.

This mexican door dates back to the late 1800′s. It was found in Richmond, Texas from a sweet woman who collects all things vintage…everything from doors to cathedral windows.

The story behind this door is funny. I first fell in love with it 2 years before it actually came home. I went to the woman’s property looking for an old gate to hang in my entry…I saw ‘her’ laying up against an old building before I even got out of the car. 8 months pregnant in July Texas heat, I marched straight for it…as my husband walked behind me telling me that ‘thing’ is too big. She was beautiful…green, yellow, brown…chipped and worn.

I cried please.

He said no.

I cried but I am carrying your son!!!

He still said no.

I cried FINE, forget it!

But I didn’t leave empty handed…an early 1900′s French gate (which I adore!) hangs in my entry.

Fast forward 2 years…a spontaneous trip back to the woman’s property….open the doors to her shop and the angels started singing! There she was…leaning up against the wall…looking right at me…waiting to go home.  I bought her on the spot…and she is mine, all mine.

7 Responses to “She’s Mine”

1. Jan Walker September 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

Would love to see the French gate and what the Mexican door looks like hung on the wall.

• admin September 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm #

Absolutely! I will post pictures of the gate soon!

2. Celena November 12, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

I love it!!! Great story!

3. Alexis @ Our Inspired Home November 19, 2010 at 6:48 am #

This is beautiful! I just found your blog, and you have some really great ideas! I’m not sure where you’re located, but Richmond isn’t too far from where I live, so it’s kind of neat seeing all of your references to different cities in Texas. I really like your blog though…you have some great ideas!

4. margaret January 4, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Hi,
    Love your blog. Where in Richmond, Texas is the property located?
    I drive there a couple of times a week, and would love to know if
    I could visit that lady. Would you please ask her if it’s ok to give
    out her address? I will send you my email, if she says yes.
    Thank you so much.

5. Hollie Carson May 9, 2011 at 5:55 am #

I am loving your style! Please show me more pictures of your house. And wherever did you get your bedspread?

1. Decisions, Decisions… | TwoFriendsTwoCitiesOneVision - November 9, 2010

[...] I do love the color.  It is Labrador by Valspar.  You can see a glimpse of the color here. [...]