Paint Me Pretty

8 Sep

Goodwill became a friend…a close confidant.  Sometimes my car takes over and drives me where it wants to go.  My car…my beloved Big Greenie drove for weeks looking for the perfect bedside piece for my bedroom.  I stalked my favorite resale shop…nothing.  I stalked Craigslist….nothing.  I even stalked my own neighbors on trash day hoping someone decided to throw away a vintage dresser….still nothing.

But that day, I ended up at Goodwill.  I walked to the furniture…and found my bedside piece.  It was chunky…it had great details…and it was begging to be painted.

I ran to the front of the store…said something like ‘How much for that dresser in the back?  Can you go it?  I need to check out NOW because my baby needs milk!’

Next thing I knew, Big Greenie was outside and my new dresser was in the backseat.

Here are the details of one of my most favorite ‘finds’:

$60 at Goodwill

$6 at Lowes for 2 pints of paint (colored matched BM paint)

80 grit sand paper sheets and a knife for distressing

Paint Color:  Benjamin Moore Galapagos Turquoise find it HERE

I won’t lie…it did sit in my garage for over a month…but that’s how I roll.  I have to think about how I want a piece to look…and when it all comes together in my head, it’s magic.

25 Responses to “Paint Me Pretty”

1. WEST FURNITURE REVIVAL April 30, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

GREAT JOB . LOVE THE COLOR

2. Cassie At Primitive & Proper May 4, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

beautiful!!! that color is gorgeous… i actually almost used in our bathroom, but went with blue danube. it is stunning!!!

• Angie & Carrie May 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

Thanks so much Cassie…I could bath in blue paint! LOL!

3. Erin @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage May 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

IT. IS. GORGEOUS. What a great transformation! The color is absolutely perfect.
    I would be honored if you’d link it up to The AFTER Party @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage…

Cheers,
    Erin

• Angie & Carrie May 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

Erin, thank you!! We just linked up!!! :) Is your party every Thursday?

4. Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage May 6, 2011 at 7:38 am #

That is awesome — that color is gorgeous!!

5. Korrie@RedHenHome May 6, 2011 at 8:45 am #

What a lovely piece it is now! Love the blue.

6. Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims May 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

That paint color is gorgeous – and you did a beautiful job distressing it! It turned out awesome :)

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

7. Vicky May 7, 2011 at 4:17 am #

Just when I thought I had found the perfect color/shade of blue I come accross your blog :) The dresser looks great. Have a great day!

I love the color Still Water by Sherwin Williams stop by for a blog visit.

• Angie & Carrie May 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

Hey Vicky! This blue on the color chip does not do it justice and it was one of those moments where I didn’t second guess by choice…and I adore Galapagos Turquoise!

8. Sarah @ The Birds Papaya May 8, 2011 at 6:18 am #

that is STUNNING! I love the paint color you chose! so beautiful!!

9. Lolly Jane May 8, 2011 at 7:49 am #

What a transformation! I love how the old finish pops through to match the cute hardware. We would ♥ for you to show this off at our link party!

Lolly Jane
    lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

10. Carol-Anne: Use the Good Dishes! May 8, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

What a great job! It looks just gorgeous.

(visiting from A2D)

11. megan May 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Wow, I love it! The color is perfect and the distressing is fab!

12. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating May 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

That looks amazing!! And the color is gorgeous.

13. Kelly May 12, 2011 at 6:47 am #

I am passing on to you the Versatile Blogger award.
    Congratulations and great work.
    Kelly at juicebox Dreams

14. Jenna, SAS Interiors May 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

Carrie,
    I love the blue/turquoise color. Not sure if you saw my recent bathroom makeover, but I used the same color on the cabinet. It’s my new fav!!

~Jenna

15. April May 14, 2011 at 7:18 am #

Wow! You did an amazing job! And lol about the paint! I bought the paint to paint my walls 2 months ago! Sharing this on Wildflowers & Whimsy’s FB page!

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

WOW – thanks for sharing on your page!! So sweet of you! :)

16. mary May 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

I love this! I’d like to invite you to post it on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week, I hope you can join in. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

17. Deana June 8, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

love the color you chose! looks stunning. this post would be a fabulous addition to my weekly blog party “from trash to treasure” I’d really love it if you joined in!

18. Nichole February 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

I love this piece. Do you sand down your furniture before you paint it?

1. Meet Stila | TwoFriendsTwoCitiesOneVision - September 14, 2010

[...] bottle of Stila One Step makeup.  I love it.  It is magic.  Kinda like that time I removed the SOLD from that dresser I bought…ahhh, pure [...]