Hand-Me-Down Headboard

20 Sep

That’s right…a hand-me-down headboard and that’s what friends are for.

The lovely Cory purchased a new, beautiful, very grown up bedroom suite from Z Gallerie [heart!].  It is my most favorite room in Cory’s home.  As a result, the old $25 Goodwill rescued, circa 1990′s, knotty pine headboard was going in the trash.  It had seen better days but alas, I would take her home with me.

Here she is…mismatched to the heavens…I really cannot believe this picture is out in the world for everyone and their grandma to see:

Something had to be done…she was pleading to be painted.  Ask and you shall receive!

A quick trip to Lowe’s for 4 cans of $3 Black spray paint and my trusty 80 grit sanding block:

We, meaning my husband, brought her into the garage.  Pay attention to the scroll bar:

Recruited my Sweet P for assistance (scroll bar still there)…

Literally 2 coats of spray paint later…she is drying, waiting to be sanded down.  Notice anything different??

She has great lines and the scroll-action on top was not working for me…so off it went and what a difference!

Here she is…nice and relaxed with crisp white sheets and a soft Ralph Lauren down duvet.

I was a a little nervous embarking on ‘white bedding’ with children and a puppy but honestly, it has been the best decision.  No trips to cleaners…just drop it in the washer, throw it in the dryer and it is brand new again!

The white duvet was actually covered by the heavy chocolate duvet cover (note top picture!).

The oversized white Euro pillows are from Marshall’s, $19.99 for both (crazy, I know!)

And I no longer have a mismatched bedskirt.  It is just a simple, box pleat skirt from Marshall’s…$29.99!

She is a fabulous…and I love her.

But I love Cory even more for giving her to me in exchange for lunch at The Salt Lick.

Between Naps on the PorchDIY ShowoffDomestically SpeakingFinding FabulousFunky Junk InteriorsHouse of HepworthsMiss Mustard SeedMy Backyard EdenPerfectly ImperfectPrimitive & ProperRemodelaholicSAS InteriorsShabby NestWhipperberryToday’s Creative BlogThe Thrifty HomeSavvy Southern StyleSome Day CraftsEisy MorganGreen Door Designs,  At Home with KHome Stories A2Z

37 Responses to “Hand-Me-Down Headboard”

1. Macy Dawn April 4, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

We have the exact same duvet you have in your before photos. I am trying my best to work with it. I love the fun floral pattern, but I keep worrying that it is too dark. I may demote it to lay at the end of our bed and replace it with a lighter duvet.

• Angie & Carrie April 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Hi Macy! I do love the chocolate duvet…do you find it heavy? I thought about laying at the end of the bed then just went all white. :) I am keeping the duvet though…if I ever get the itch to use it again!

2. Denise May 25, 2011 at 9:03 am #

I love this!! Found you through Homemaker on a Dime blog party. It looks so much more timeless with the scroll taken off. Fabulous. I’d like to invite you to join my Transformations and Treasures party on Wednesdays. Great project!

3. cassie May 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

wow! that headboard went form rustic mexican to rustic chic! awesome awesome job!

4. Whitney May 25, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

It turned out absolutely beautiful!

A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

5. Ashley May 26, 2011 at 9:33 am #

Wow this is amazing as well! I love the color scheme, thanks for linkin this up as well:)

6. GeorgiaBE May 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

WOW! I’ve been after a headboard like that forever…you did a great job bringing it back to life!

• Lewis July 10, 2014 at 8:56 am #

I watched about 15 over your viodes on Christmas Eve, while hubby and I wrapped Christmas presents. After having done so, I learned that’s just the way you talk. I think you are whimsical and very fun! I’m glad I tuned in longer and didn’t just watch the one video! I really enjoy your spirit, your fun ways and innuendos! I am a fan!

7. Elizabeth@BlueClearSky May 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

It looks great! I love the distressing and the chunky end posts.

8. Denise May 28, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Thanks so much for linking up to Transformations and Treasures! I am just loving this :)

9. Comeca Jones May 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

Love it! Makes me feel better about the pieces I have to get from our storage there is hope!

10. Vanessa May 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Absolutely stunning transformation! I mean, I never would have known it was the same headboard! You truly did bring out all of its best qualities and taking the scroll-y thing off was genius. It looks gorgeous with the crisp white bedding too! Thank you so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week…we love having you join in the fun! :-)
    Vanessa

11. Gwen May 30, 2011 at 8:49 am #

WOW! That really looks awesome, and I totally love the white bedding.

12. Rachael @ The Little Birdie June 1, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Wow! What a transformation, it looks so awesome! I am always amazed at what spray paint can fix, haha! Thanks for linking up at The Little Birdie! )

13. Terri Sierra June 1, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

Our bedroom set is almost the same! It came as a package deal when I married my hubby and I’m not fond of it AT ALL. We have been thinking of painting it black – and now YES! I’m willing to take on the project! Thanks!

Come visit me sometime at my blog!

14. Ches June 2, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

Love it, great idea to take the scrolly thing off. I wish someone would hand me down a king size headboard to makeover for my room.

15. caroline @ c.w.frosting June 3, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

gorgeous spray paint makeover! what would we do without spray paint?

16. Maridith @ Strictly Homemade June 6, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

BEAUTIFUL!! You did a fabulous job. Plus, I think you have sold me on a white comforter at the same time. Just beautiful.

17. Bed skirt dust ruffles June 21, 2011 at 7:15 am #

Originally bedskirts dust ruffles were made to envelop human bodies and now they have a vogue.

18. Lilli June 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Beautiful job! I’m visiting from At Home with K.. saw your link up there!! Amazing!
    Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!
    Lilli

• Angie & Carrie June 22, 2011 at 7:11 am #

Thanks so much Lilli for stopping by!! xoxo, Carrie & Angie

• Diego July 10, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

Some great information, tkhnas for sharing. Now just being a Guy here, but dang I dig how your clothes fit, particularly your shirt. I could really read the image on your shirt, so I had to pause multiple times to read it. Ha ha!

19. Jane's Junk and Treasures June 24, 2011 at 9:29 am #

OH MY GOSH!! I love it!!
    Perfect!!!

20. Rachel June 24, 2011 at 9:44 am #

I think it’s great! Such a wonderful transformation and you are right, the scroll bar needed to go! Once it was gone you could see the awesomeness of the headboard! I’m hoping to paint my headboard and bedroom set this coming week. Why spraypaint and not the traditional paint? Does it stay the same and not leave drips?

• Angie & Carrie June 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

HI Rachel! I really love painting with spray paint…it is faster…dries quick…and I really like the finish. I have painted alot of pieces using traditional paint brush and I love that look too. :)

21. Julia @ 551 EastDesign June 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm #

I love this! I might be doing a bed for a client soon and this is very helpful:) Thanks!

• Angie & Carrie June 28, 2011 at 6:57 am #

Thanks Julia! :) Send us the link to your finished piece so we can see! xoxo, Carrie & Angie

22. Ginger Snaps August 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

Love hjow that turned out! Beautiful. :) Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog.. if you haven‘t already. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower.}

Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

23. Tammy August 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

This is a great project! Good Job!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

24. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime August 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

I know that you have so many blog parties to choose from so thank you for choosing Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop. This post is added to the party blast! Enjoy the rest of the week :)

25. Maria Matter August 4, 2011 at 8:00 pm #

fabulous & inspirational! thank you!

26. MandyP August 6, 2011 at 6:19 am #

I LOVE it! I especially love the color!

27. Courtney August 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Super cute!! Love how it came out ~Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

1. Vintage Rock & Roll | TwoFriendsTwoCitiesOneVision - October 10, 2010

[...] just bought a white down comforter like the one on my bed.  She begs to sleep with us because our bed is ‘just so comfy!’ Again, those are her [...]

2. Before & After :: Shutters | TwoFriendsTwoCitiesOneVision - February 17, 2011

[...] these shutters?  I made a little something out of them a while back and I think it might be one of my most [...]

3. Look What I Made! 6-8-2011 | Creations by Kara - June 8, 2011

[...] Paint Dresser Makeover at Conspicuous Style Monogram Key Chains at Christine & Co Headboard Makeover at Two Friends Two Cities Teriyaki Burgers with Pineapple Mango Salsa at The Farm Girl Canisters to [...]