Cheap chic

5 Oct

This chic was cheap.  She was free.  My neighbor and I traded…a bag of mulch for a dresser…a no brainer, right?!

She was a honey wood color and I quickly painted her black.  No primer.  One coat, nothing fancy.

And she looked rough, really rough.  I didn’t like the way she turned out but it was better than the original 1970′s wood.

So she sat in our playroom, collecting junk on top and in the drawers.  I stored crayons and markers, coloring books and play-doh inside and my dysfunctional brain was completely overwhelmed every time I tried to organize the drawers.

Look how pitiful:

And then I snapped.  Could not take it any longer.  I emptied all the drawers and started throwing stuff away.  I removed the knobs and handles.

I pulled her away from the wall, covered the floors with a drop clothe, and grabbed an old can of Valspar White paint and a paint brush:

I loved her immediately.

A few hours and 3 coat later, she was painted and scratched up with a knife:

I love how the black shows through the white.  So simple and clean.

And now she stands, nicely organized and I love her.

And that little round table you see with the pink chairs?  The table top had been colored and painted on for many years.

So Sweet P and I got our favorite Valspar chalkboard paint and a sponge brush and fixed her up…and it has been the biggest hit!

Get a paint brush, paint something, and share your makeover with us in the comments below!

18 Responses to “Cheap chic”

1. Kim @ Second Time Furniture November 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

I love how the white looks with the distressing!

2. Stephanie November 9, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

I love the way the dresser turned out! I’m in the process of collecting things to redo my daughter’s room in a shabby chic theme. I got a honey colored dresser with tacky brass drawer pulls for cheap and have been contemplating exactly how I wanted to make it over. I may go for something similar to yours, it’s great!

• Angie & Carrie November 10, 2010 at 8:42 pm #

Thanks Stephanie! You can even spray paint the brass drawer pulls a fun color to bounce off the white dresser. How cute would that be for your daughter’s room!

3. Kathleen November 16, 2010 at 7:27 am #

So much better, that black was pretty awful. Great job!

4. Sandy@Life Began in a Garden November 21, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

Second time’s the charm, eh? Looks fabulous!

5. Cassie At Primitive & Proper May 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

yes! much better this time- i love the creamy white against the dark pulls. it looks awesome!

• Angie & Carrie May 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

Thanks Cassie! The black was just a fast paint over the strange color wood…the white is definitely much better! We love your blog!

6. Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes May 11, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

I’m a fan of black in the right setting and when it matches the style of the furniture. For something with such pretty hardware in a more classic design, I think the white is a much better choice. It seems more classic and less modern, which I think when I see black. I love distressed furniture too. Very nice!

• Angie & Carrie May 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

Hey Shannon! The white is a much better fit for the dresser…I love black too…but white works perfectly on this piece!! Thanks for your sweet comment! xoxo, Carrie & Angie

7. Katie from Sew Woodsy May 12, 2011 at 5:32 am #

What a great job you did on this dresser! I’d love if you’d link this up at Sew Woodsy!

8. Shelly May 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Looks great!! I am refinishing a dresser tonight!! I am so excited, I can’t wait!!

9. Leanne May 14, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

The dresser is gorgeous. I love it white. Thanks for linking to the party. I hope to see you again at the next one too.

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

Thanks I am glad you like the white! I like it much better too! :) Thanks again for the party – we will definitely link again :)

10. Courtney May 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Really great trade! I love it in white and so pretty and your chalkboard table sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing this at FNF :)

11. Jessica Tinsley May 15, 2011 at 12:00 am #

nice transformation!

12. Nicole July 6, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

I love how the black peeks through! I think it gives it charm. I’m in the process of converting an old desk into a vanity and was aiming for something like your dresser, but went with a different idea. Definitely keeping this in mind though!