Blue Coffee Bag Side Tables

21 Apr

Upon Carrie’s insistence, I finally went to Goodwill.  It was my first Goodwill experience and it was a definitely interesting. When I walked in, I was confused. Was this where old shoes go to die?

But after wondering around for a while, I realized what a goldmine Goodwill can be.  It is not a place you walk into and have billions of goodies at your fingertips.  Goodwill is a place for hunters.

You have to search and be patience and then find your kill. Well, I found my kill.  These cute little nesting tables.

Priced at $5. Awesome.

I carted them home and then later discovered another goodie about these little babies.  I think they might be Eames era mid century three-legged spider tables.   Double Awesome.

Before you think I ruined an antique, let me first let it known these tables were damaged.  The leather like tops (maybe leather, maybe pleather?) had tears on the sides and were also pierced with tacks on the top!  So there ya’ go.  Nothing wrong going on here.

My initial plans were to cover the tops with coffee bags and paint the legs shabby chic white.  I did that but then changed my mind.  The white was pretty but wasn’t exactly matching my bedroom decor and our new Anthropologie bed cover. So the legs were then repainted blue.

Here is how I originally made them in white (and then at the bottom of this post, I’ll show you how I converted them to blue).

First the tops were popped off which was easy because they just wiggled off.

The legs were painted white.   Then instead of scraping the paint off and damaging the wood —  what I did was my favorite aging technique ever…taking a cloth dripping with water  (while the paint still wet) and ringing the water out of the cloth so that it washes off some of the paint in selected areas.  It is so easy but hard to explain and even harder to photograph since it is done so quickly.  Maybe I’ll make a video of it soon! :)

Covering the table tops was easy.  Since the leather like tops were thin and flat, the leather was left on.  The tops were used as a pattern for cutting the coffee bags.The pattern was cut about 1.5 inches from the edge of the top of the table. I should have made it larger because the coffee bags were very firm and a little extra space would have been helpful when turning the edges over.

Time to attach the coffee bags.  The coffee bag was laid “pretty side” down.  The table tops were laid on top of the coffee bag.

Then the sides were pulled up and glued to the back edge of the table tops, using Gorilla Glue.

To keep the coffee bag and table top pressed together while the glue dried, I secured with these high tech fancy rocks from my patio.  Ha!  Hey, it worked.

Once dried, the tops were popped back into the legs.

DONE!  Well maybe not done?

We needed some small bedside tables in our bedroom.

The white shabby chic tables were pretty but they just didn’t quite go with the design direction I am trying to accomplish in our bedroom.

So, they got a coat of blue paint!

Now they compliment the bedspread better.

I think the blue matches and also goes with the funky eclectic vibe.

There is not a lot of room in our bedroom.  These tables are a good fit because they are small yet still provide ample space for a drink or a book beside the bed.

What do you think?

69 Responses to “Blue Coffee Bag Side Tables”

1. Carrie April 21, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Great find Angie!! I adore the coffee bags!!

2. WEST FURNITURE REVIVAL April 30, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

THESE TURNED OUT SO CUTE.. GREAT VISION

3. debbie May 2, 2011 at 4:08 am #

Love this, very cool and inspiring. Thanks for sharing at my newbie party. Please add my link or button to your post or page.

4. Mimi May 2, 2011 at 8:34 am #

I really like how you transformed these tables! Wonderful job here!

5. Junker Newbie Stephanie May 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

Love this idea! Just shared it on Twitter :-)

6. Inside Heather's Home May 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Hi there, I LOVE this idea. I have some chairs for outdoors that the seats need recovering on…I think I might try this out! What a great find…wish me luck! Maybe even burlap potato bags…hmmmm??

• Angie & Carrie May 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

It’s funny you mention that because I was actually going to use my coffee bags to make some outdoor seats! However, I have put it off for a while because I am not quite sure how it will work out. The coffee bags I have shed a LOT and I am not quite sure if they will be a good fit outside with the elements. Good luck! If you make them, please send us pictures!! I would love to see your project!

7. Kara from Kara's Korner May 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

I think I really like it! The coffee bag was such a great and unique idea…way to add character to the lifeless tables!

• Angie & Carrie May 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

Thank you!!!

• Angie & Carrie May 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Thank you! I really like the way it turned out too! I have a whole lot of coffee bags and I’m thinking about attempting to make a padded headboard out of them also. Hopefully that’s not too much coffee bag decor in one room!! :)

8. Cassie At Primitive & Proper May 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

angie, those are adorable! and they look perfect in your bedroom- i love that they are modern, but with the vintage burlap appeal, and i love that they keep the room feeling open.

9. Heather Painchaud May 4, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

Oh my gosh!! I love these!! What a Goodwill score! Thanks for linking up!

10. Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage May 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Love the use of the coffee bags!! Those tables were a steal!!

11. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} May 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Very cool! Love them and the shapes of the tables are awesome! Thanks for linking it up to my Catch a Glimpse party! :)

12. Stephanie May 6, 2011 at 4:12 am #

These tables turned out awesome! The thin top was perfect for the coffee sacks. Great GW find!

13. Erin @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage May 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

They turned out so cute! I love the coffee bags on top – where on earth do you find coffee bags anyways???
    Thanks for linking up to The AFTER Party @ 3 Meadow Lake Cottage!!!
    Cheers,
    Erin

• Angie & Carrie May 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm #

Thank you! And thanks for the party! We will be sure to link up next week also :) My mom actually found the coffee bags on craigslist – a shipping company was getting rid of them. I have about a 100 of them – SCORE! I had wanted to upholster furniture and make pillows with them but they are very ROUGH and stiff. Almost like cardboard. And the fibers flake up. I am trying to rack my brain and think of something else to do with them now. :)

14. Karen May 7, 2011 at 5:05 am #

LOVE your tables. Was checking to see if you would sell one or two of your coffee bags? I actually work at a Louis Dreyfus in Indiana, but we make biodiesel………………… no coffee bags there :-) Would LOVE to have one :-)
    Thanks so much and thanks for sharing your tables with us.

• Angie & Carrie May 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Funny – I’ve actually had someone else inquire about Louis Dreyfus bags! Of course you can – if I have anymore. I have about 100 coffee bags but they are all different types and companies. I’ll go through them soon and see if I have anymore LD ones :)

15. Jackie @ Blessings Overflowing May 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm #

This is a cute idea! I would never have thought of something like that. Thanks for linking up!!!

16. Karen May 7, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

Thanks so much …………………………. and for your quick reply :-) Hopefully you’ll have some LD ones :-)

17. Korrie@RedHenHome May 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

These are great. Totally unique and totally FUN!

18. Tea Rose Home May 7, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

Oh they are so pretty! I love the blue letters on the bag.
    Thank you for linking to my party!

19. megan May 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Love! The color and the bean bags, just fabulous!!

20. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating May 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

What a great find! I can’t believe this was your first venture into Goodwill!! You’re right, you definitely have to dig, and search, and hunt, but it’s so worth it when you happen upon a [potential] treasure.

21. Heather Painchaud May 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Featuring these on Wednesday ~ thanks for sharing!

22. hello again girls May 10, 2011 at 8:38 am #

these are wonderful! thank you for posting this tutorial – i have been looking for something unique for our guest room and now i will hunt for cute side tables.

this might be a stupid question, but where did you get the coffee bags?

23. Titia May 10, 2011 at 9:49 am #

I love this idea!
    I just scored some coffee bags at a yard sale on the weekend 10 big ones for 50 cents :) Me happy! When you get more ideas for them, let me know :)

• Angie & Carrie May 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Wow .50 cents! That’s a great deal!! I am thinking of making a padded headboard out of coffee bags soon. I’ll keep you updated :)

24. Kassandra @ Coffee and their Kisses May 11, 2011 at 11:40 am #

I featured this for my “Blog Stalkin” here @ my blog.

25. SJ May 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Yay! You came! Love these! Thank you so much for linking up this great post at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop.

26. Saved By Love Creations May 12, 2011 at 3:21 am #

SO COOL! Hi. I am a new follower. Stopping by to invite you to join Thrifty Thursday, because your blog is great.. Have a wonderful day. Blessings!

Johnnie

• Angie & Carrie May 12, 2011 at 5:31 am #

We’d love to Johnnie! Thanks for inviting and for following! xoxo, Carrie & Angie

27. Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com May 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I featured your fabulous tables today!! Thanks so much fo linking up to Think Pink Sundays!! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/05/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-6/

• Angie & Carrie May 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Awesome! Thanks so much Beverly!! xoxo, Angie!

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

WOW – thank you Beverly!!! Thanks again for the party and we will see you again :)

28. Jenna, SAS Interiors May 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Angie,
    These are SO great! What a creative idea. Where did you get the coffee bags? Maybe you said in your post, but I didn’t see it. Love what you did!!
    ~Jenna, SAS Interiors

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Jenna, My mom actually found the coffee bags on craigslist in Texas – a shipping company was getting rid of them. I have about a 100 of them – SCORE! I had wanted to upholster furniture and make pillows with them but they are very ROUGH and stiff. Almost like cardboard. And the fibers flake up somewhat. I am trying to rack my brain and think of something else to do with them now. I have one idea I think might work which would be to make them into a padded headboard. I’ll let you know how it works out. :)

29. Jenna, SAS Interiors May 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

And a BIG THANK YOU for adding SAS Interiors to your list of “Blogs We Love”!!! You ladies are awesome! I’ll definitely be reciprocating the add on “My Favorite Reads”!

~Jenna

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Thanks Jenna! Your blog ROCKS and just HAD to be on our Blogs We Love list! xoxoxoxo Angie and Carrie

30. Karen May 14, 2011 at 5:44 am #

Angie & Carrie ~ Checking to see if you found any Louis Dreyfus bags that you would be willing to sell? Thanks so much :-)
    ~Karen~

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Hi Karen, If I have one, I’ll send it to you for free. I just need to go through some boxes in my garage because I have a lot of them. I will try to go through them in the next two weeks and let you know. Sorry for the delay, they are buried behind some furniture I need my husband to move first – LOL! – Angie

31. Katy Lunsford May 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Angie, I love your tables, I love anything made with coffee bags. I bought a purse from Etsy that was made out of a coffee bag – love it. Thank you for sharing.

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm #

Katy, I am glad someone else shares my addiction!! Now I know I am not the only one :) I love anything with coffee bags and jealous you have a purse! I would love to see it! Angie

32. Halsey May 14, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

Wow! What an amazing transformation. I love the texture of the the coffee bags mixed with the clean lines of the table. I am featuring you on Spunky Junky so stop by and say “Hi.”

Great Job!

xoxo
    Halsey

• Angie & Carrie May 16, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

WOW!! Thank you so much!!!! That’s awesome!! We will definitely stop by :) xoxoxo Angie

33. mary May 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

I love this! I’d like to invite you to post it on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week, I hope you can join in. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

34. Karen May 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

THANKS SO MUCH :-)

35. Nicole June 24, 2011 at 6:13 pm #

How fun! I love the vibe you are going for :)

36. Lisa June 24, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Came across your blog from Finding Fabulous link up. What great finds those tables were and you did such a great job with them!

37. Linda June 30, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Beautifully done! It’s just amazing what you did with the old chairs and the coffee bags! Loving it!

38. Brenda Watts July 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

Wonderful wonderful..I love them !! perfect for beside your bed with the colorful coverlet. Stunning.

39. Amanda July 12, 2011 at 7:15 am #

Love the simplicity of this and how chic it turned out. :) I’ve featured this post on Craft Gossip here:

If you would like a “featured by” button, you can grab one here:

40. Emily July 19, 2011 at 9:31 am #

Hey! You’re table looks great! But i was wondering where you found the actual cofee bags? I’ve been looking for these for some time now and I just cant seem to find them..

• Angie & Carrie July 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

My mom found the bags on Craigslist…definitely check local flea markets, craigslist in your area, or even garage sales. You’ll be surprised where you might find them!

41. Marcia Ward September 10, 2012 at 2:34 am #

What a great find! Lucky you ;-) – Unusual idea using the coffee bags, will check out the rest of your blog.

42. Coffee Table Plans March 10, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Hello there, just became aware of your blog through
    Google, and found that it is really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

43. dishwasher ratings 2012 April 23, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Nevertheless, a Bosch dishwasher fees about $1000, that is a little on the pricey end,
    and also the manage panel tends to break down effortlessly.
    Beware though if you are buying an older model, as many older machines have energy
    ratings of B or C. Note that GE dishwashers use a solenoid to drain the water.

44. Coffee PUre Cleanse Diet May 6, 2013 at 5:50 am #

Hi, I believe your blog could possibly be having internet browser compatibility problems.
    Whenever I look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in IE, it’s got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, great site!

45. antarctica travel May 9, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

Activities both on board the ship as well as on select parts of the ice
    sheet are designed for the maximum safety, enjoyment and
    education of travelers. As soon as you make it to one of these cities,
    you are going to have another several days of traveling by cruise
    to make it to Antarctica. 5 ton elephant seals as they haul themselves out of the water and gather onto the icy
    ledges.

1. Coffee Bag Side Tables · Home and Garden | CraftGossip.com - July 12, 2011

[...] room, ideal for a bedroom. in fact, I may borrow this idea myself. To see how to create your own Blue Coffee Bag Side Tables click here. You may also [...]

2. Craft Chic Tuesdays: Coffee Bag Side Tables | Casa Diseño LLC - July 20, 2011

[...] Click Here to view Blue Coffee Side Table on Two Friends.Two Cities [...]

3. Craft Chic Tuesdays: Coffee Bag Side Tables « Casa Diseño LLC - May 18, 2012

[...] project. If you are a flea market junkie then here is your chance to upcycle some old pieces. Click Here to view Blue Coffee Side Table on Two Friends.Two Cities Author: Angie Materials [...]