What’s for Snack Time Wednesday: Homemade Veggie Chips (Made with a Dehydrator)

8 Jun

I’ve receive some new toys in my kitchen and I am having fun playing with them.  One was the amazing Ninja which has made me a smoothie making veggie drinking obsessed fiend.  The second toy, a dehydrator, has increased my veggie consumption even more making my diet the healthiest it has ever been in my life.  And I feel GREAT!!  My dehydrator is constantly loaded with amazing things like homemade granola and my favorite…veggie chips.

It’s funny how and why I bought a dehydrator.  It’s kind of embarrassing to admit but we actually bought it to make dog treats.  Dog treats like dried chicken and apples are very expensive and after reviewing some of the packaging, we started wondering what they were actually made with.  Packaging included strange chemicals so dehydrating seemed like a great thing to attempt for our dogs.

We soon realized dehydrating would be life changing for us as well.  We now make our own chili lime pistachios, sun-dried tomatoes, trail mix, granola bars and dried fruit including apples and bananas.  We also dry fresh herbs and vegetables before they go bad so we can store in the pantry for future use. Now nothing goes to waste.

Now back to my veggie chips… you know the book, Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfield that caters to moms trying to sneak vegetables in their children’s diet?  Well, I am like one of those kids.  You have to trick me and hide veggies in my food in order for me to eat them.  That is why I love making veggie chips in our new food dehydrator. I get the crunchy yumminess of naughty chips but…instead they are loaded healthy ingredients including not only vegetables but things like flax seed and other seeds.  And the best part is that we don’t taste the vegetables, just great crunch with good fresh flavor.

HOW TO MAKE:
3 Cups of Corn (fresh or frozen)

1/2 Cup Ground Flax Seed

1 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic

1 Teaspoon Sea Salt

1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds

1 Teaspoon Cumin

1 Cup Veggie of Your Choice ( I used edamame for this one – but other favorites are spinach and carrots)

1/2 Cup Jalapenos (Optional)

Combine in blender and blend on medium until well blended.   Dehydrate on 145 degrees for 3 hours.  Then cut up in pieces and dry for at least 3-5 more hours until desired crispness is achieved.  I like mine very crispy so I dry at least 5 hours.  Times vary depending on the different vegetables used, spinach sometimes takes less time than carrots.

TIPS:

I use frozen corn and thaw it out in the microwave on low.

Frozen Corn

To make ground flax seed, put whole flax seed in blender and blend until a powder is created.  By the way if this is done with rolled oats, oat flour will be produced.

It is not necessary to add jalapenos but I love a little heat.  I buy the canned jalapenos that come with carrots, which adds more veggies in the mix.

Most dehydrators come with a flat tray that is supposed to be used for making chips like this for fruit roll ups.

However, I found that tray was horrible and the chips stuck to it.  The chips never dried well since the sheet didn’t allow much air flow.  One tip I learned was to use parchment paper and cut it out to fit the dehydrator drawer.  The parchment paper can be used over and over.  All my chips dry perfect on them and are easy to pop off.

Blend for one-two minutes until well blended.

Ninja Blender

Should be a cornbread batter like consistency.

It is important to spread out as thin as possible to achieve a chip like form.  If made thicker, they will turn out fine but more like a cracker.

Scissors are helpful to cut in triangle shapes or strips.

Using Scissors to cut Veggie Chips in Triangles

I am addicted to eating these with homemade humus – a snack loaded with vegetables, healthy seeds and protein.

Finished Chips with Hummus

Ok and one last tip :)

If you are shopping for a dehydrator, I have spent endless hours researching the dehydrator options.   For the price and performance, the Nesco Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator and Jerky Maker seems to be the best new innovative product available.  It dries food in hours, not days like other models. I am very happy with it and I don’t get paid by Nesco.  It can be purchased at Sur La Table for $64 and less at some Walmart locations.

11 Responses to “What’s for Snack Time Wednesday: Homemade Veggie Chips (Made with a Dehydrator)”

1. Hollie Carson June 8, 2011 at 7:13 am #

Awesome!!! I want one of these so badly!

2. Angie & Carrie June 8, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Yum! Will you send me some!? :)

3. Cate June 17, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

Thanks for the recipe! What do you think about substituting cooked lentils or chickpeas for the corn? (I’m trying to avoid corn) :-)

• Angie & Carrie June 20, 2011 at 7:45 am #

Cate – I think this is a genius idea!!! I actually bought some new healthy veggie protein chips that were called Falafel chips (sold at Fresh & Easy) that were made entirely from chick peas and other vegetables so it probably has to be possible. I am not sure if they were dehydrated or how they were prepared but they taste great. I totally understand the corn issue and that is the one thing I don’t like about this recipe. Lately, I have been reducing the amount of corn in this recipe and replacing it with more vegetables like carrots and so far the substitution tastes great (and the corn is not missed). I think as long as (any) ingredients are dehydrated thin and crisp, it should turn out into a pretty good chip. I am going to use your suggestion and try making these with chick peas soon. If you try it, let us know how it goes. We would love to hear back from you! :)

4. Cate August 25, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Oops, I’m sorry it took me so long to respond! I am making the lentil chips this weekend. I’ve been making flaxseed crackers (awesome, btw), but you are the ONLY online resource I’ve found for veggie chips that aren’t from whole veggies (like potato), but are doing a “leather”-style chip from a paste. And I will definitely let you know how it goes. I’m using your recipe as a base, but since there’s much less starch in my version, I may have to figure out a binding agent. We shall see!

• Renzo July 10, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

Hello there, just became aware of your blog thogurh Google, and found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

5. Cate August 31, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

The Sad Tale of the Lentil Chips goes thusly: Used your recipe as a base. Substituted lentils for the corn, and used black beans for my veggie of choice. Added some oil, used mostly the same seasonings. First, it’s way to heavy for my KitchenAid Blender (should have used the food processor). Secondly, they cracked like dried earth during the dehydrating. Finally, while the taste was good, and the mouthfeel not bad (as in, not TOOOOOO dry – but a little dry), they are nothing like a chip. They could never be used to scoop guacamole, and I also doubt their ability to support cheese. So it’s a binding issue: the flaxseed wasn’t a sufficient binding agent. Maybe I rinsed all the starch out of the lentils. Gonna try it with a store-bought lentil flour, just to rule out user-error, and take it from there. Peace.

6. kena1956 November 2, 2012 at 7:31 am #

I made mine a little thicker so they are more like a cracker. After dehydrating for 8 hours they still were not real crisp so I toasted them in the oven at 300 degrees for an additional hour. The toasting gave them a nice appearance and fantastic taste.

7. Liz February 3, 2013 at 10:13 am #

Well, I tried making this with my Magic Bullet blender and after 45 minutes of scraping the sides and trying different blender heads for it I gave up out of frustration.

Any suggestions for individuals with inferior blenders?

8. Janiece Kounthong April 25, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Flaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC. In the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the health benefits of flaxseed that he passed laws requiring his subjects to consume it. Now, thirteen centuries later, some experts say we have preliminary research to back up what Charlemagne suspected.:*

My internet page
    <a href="http://www.caramoanpackage.com

9. Julio Inscore May 24, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Lentils are also commonly used in Ethiopia in a stew-like dish called kik, or kik wot, one of the dishes people eat with Ethiopia’s national food, injera flat bread. Yellow lentils are used to make a nonspicy stew, which is one of the first solid foods Ethiopian women feed their babies.:’”:

http://www.caramoanpackage.comKind thoughts