White Fireplace Conversion

14 Aug

I used to think painting brick was a sin but I think I’ve changed my mind on that.  Before we moved out of our house in Los Angeles, I stared for months at our living room and something just seemed off.  I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

At first I thought it was the green paint my husband and I loved and painted on the walls when we first moved in.  The room just appeared old fashioned and something wasn’t meshing with our furniture and decor.

Then after seeing this white fireplace, I realized the orange-red brick was throwing everything off.

It is now white and lovely!

By the way, the white looking specks inside the fireplace aren’t paint.  It doesn’t appear well in the picture but it is a candle stand with white candles.

This project was one of the easiest and quick fixes I have tackled in a while.  It just took a little bit of white paint and a little bit of my time.  10 minutes to paint the first coat and another 10 minutes for the second coat.  Since I already had leftover paint, the cost was $0.

What do you think?  Do you like?  Would you paint brick?

Between Naps on the PorchDIY ShowoffDomestically SpeakingFinding FabulousFunky Junk InteriorsHouse of HepworthsMiss Mustard SeedMy Backyard EdenPerfectly ImperfectPrimitive & ProperRemodelaholicSAS InteriorsShabby NestWhipperberryToday’s Creative BlogThe Thrifty HomeSavvy Southern StyleSome Day CraftsEisy MorganGreen Door Designs,  At Home with KHome Stories A2Z

15 Responses to “White Fireplace Conversion”

1. Amanda August 15, 2011 at 7:44 am #

My fireplace is the exact same way. It’s just throwing the room off. I painted the mantel white a long time ago and I was fine with that. I’m just scared to paint the bricks. Should I go for it?

• Angie & Carrie August 15, 2011 at 8:09 am #

The way I figured it, what was the worst that could happen? If we ever try to sell our house in the future, I doubt someone is going to refuse to buy it because they are appalled that few bricks are painted white. Amanda, I think you should totally go for it!! It looks so much better white! Clean, modern and matches the colors in the room :) If you paint it, send us before and after pictures because we would love to see the transformation.

2. Ruth August 16, 2011 at 7:24 am #

I love the white painted brick. We did the same thing with ours. Looks fantastic.

Ruth

3. Lindsay August 17, 2011 at 6:36 pm #

Wow, what a gorgeous transformation! Impressive!

By the way, I am hosting my first link party, and would love to have you link this up to it–

4. cassie August 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

it looks so much better more cohesive, and just cleaner!

5. deanna August 17, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

i really like the lighter side of this in your living room…looks great!

6. Virginia August 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

Much Better!!!! Looks fantastic.

7. Andrea August 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

It looks great . I have heard a lot of people opposed to painting brick but you’re an example how paint makes a huge difference.

8. Just Jaime August 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

I love it! Great job!

9. Grandma Bonnie August 22, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Nice fix. The fireplace looks great. I don’t think I would of had the nerve to do that. I would have worried It would look bad. Now that I saw yours I think it would be great. New follower from the Creative Bloggers hop. Hope you stop over for a visit.

10. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime August 25, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Really appreciate you linking up this fantastic post at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop. Hope you’ll continually share your creativity with us at the weekly party :)

11. SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime August 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

It’s me again :) Just featured this today here and pinned on my Pinterest. Thanks for sharing at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop :)

12. Helen August 31, 2011 at 4:53 am #

Your fireplace looks wonderful. My husband was finally convincedd about 4 years ago that painting just might help our ugly fireplace. Now, we both love it. Isn’t it fun to see a change you caused? Thanks for sharing your change, because think how many people are quietly longing to change their own and afraid! I’m a follower and thrilled to see your blog post.

Helen of Helen’s Decor

13. Mark March 11, 2014 at 11:27 am #

Should have painted the room a different color. You can never get paint off brick to make it look like new. Now you just have a big white blotch.