Burlap Pillow {tutorial}

22 Sep

“A ma vie de coer entier” translates to “My Whole Heart For My Whole Life”

I love anything french…french fries, french toast, french wine…

I’ve seen these pillows here and I’ve loved them…

But at $120 there is absolutely no way I could justify spending that for a pillow.

And you know how much Angie and I love burlap these days and my heart has been aching for a pillow.

So what’s a girl to do?

Make it herself…in less than 30 minutes while Little Man was napping:

1/4 yard of burlap: $2.99 less 40% = $1.18 at Hobby Lobby
Pillow stuffing: already owned from my baby bedding making days
Brown paint: from my paint stash
Stencils: $2.99 less 40% = $1.18 at Hobby Lobby

Since I was not using a pillow form, I decided on a 15″ square pillow. I measured about 15.5″ to allow for 1/2 inch seam:

Pin it:

my whole heart for my whole life pillow

Sew 4 straight lines…leaving the last side half open to allow for stuffing or a pillow insert:

Turn the newly created pillow right-side out (is that how you say it?) and press the edges.  You especially want to do this when working with burlap because it is a denser material.

I got my handy new stencils:

stencils

Penciled “my whole heart for my whole life”….it was completely free handed.  I don’t have much time or patience for measuring and like things to look messy vintage:

I used a sponge brush, diluted the brown paint with water on plain paper plate (I am fancy!):

Looking good…

The cluster stuff can be found at Walmart or Hobby Lobby and it is super soft and fluffy:

Be sure to push the stuffing into each corner:

Pin the opening closed and sew either by hand, which takes too long, or back to your machine:

burlap pillow

And find your pillow a new home where everyone can it!

And that is it.  A french burlap pillow made in less than 30 minutes for less than $3….that is a happy day!

We {heart} you friends!

xoxo,

Carrie

Between Naps on the PorchDIY ShowoffDomestically SpeakingFinding FabulousFunky Junk InteriorsHouse of HepworthsMiss Mustard SeedMy Backyard EdenPerfectly ImperfectPrimitive & ProperRemodelaholicSAS InteriorsShabby NestWhipperberryToday’s Creative BlogThe Thrifty HomeSavvy Southern StyleSome Day CraftsEisy MorganGreen Door Designs,  At Home with KHome Stories A2Z

42 Responses to “Burlap Pillow {tutorial}”

1. Angie September 23, 2011 at 6:23 am #

Love this Carrie!

2. Mary Smither September 23, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

It’s a lovely pillow. You did a great job with the tutorial! Have a great weekend!

3. Theresa September 25, 2011 at 8:44 am #

Hi Carrie, great project & I love burlap! Hey, your more than welcome to link your project up @ DearCreatives.com my readers would love to see your lovely burlap project. A new follower. ;)

4. Julia @ 551 East Design September 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

I love what you stenciled on the pillow…it’s so sweet. :)

PS I have a $50 cash giveaway going on at my blog right now. Come by when you have a chance! :)

• Angie & Carrie September 27, 2011 at 5:56 am #

Thanks Julia!! And we love $50! :) Your blog is awesome…love the Milk Paint Ode! Angie and I are working with Annie Sloans but….have been dying to try milk paint. And I didn’t realize the price difference! Wow!!

5. amy September 27, 2011 at 6:36 am #

oh, how sweet and simple this pillow is! love the words you chose!

6. ShannonSews September 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

So cute! I’m with you – crazy for anything French!! It’s nice to see a new French phrase that I haven’t heard before on your pillow. Love it! Very sweet!
    shannonsews.blogspot.com

• Angie & Carrie September 28, 2011 at 6:54 am #

HI Shannon! thanks for your sweet comment!! xoxo, Carrie & Angie

7. mommahen September 28, 2011 at 4:26 am #

I made some “Mr & Mrs” burlap pillow and LOVED them…then sold them :(

Your pillows, I have to say, are so much cuter than the ones I made. I love the little saying. Thank you for linking up!

8. Geneva September 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

I love burlap…and enjoyed your tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Angie & Carrie September 29, 2011 at 9:28 am #

You are welcome Geneva!!! ;) xoxo, Carrie & Angie

9. Michele September 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

So easy! I can’t wait to try this. i have been wanting to for so long…thanks for the tutorial!

• Angie & Carrie September 29, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Hi Michele! The pillow is so easy…I am sure there are other ways of creating the words on the burlap but I need quick and fast crafts. :) Send us some pictures if you make a pillow too! xox, Carrie & Angie

10. Heather @SimplyCottageLove September 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

These are gorgeous! I love simple and easy projects like these!

• Angie & Carrie September 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Thanks Heather! You are too sweet!! xox, Carrie and Angie

11. jenney September 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

I love this! I have a friend who is a coffee roaster and he gave me some burlap bean bags. I haven’t been able to decide what to do with them, but now I think I’ll make pillows!

• Angie & Carrie September 30, 2011 at 5:41 am #

Totally make pillows!!!! :)

• Angie & Carrie October 3, 2011 at 6:11 am #

Totally make pillows! Angie just bought several pillows at an antique market over the weekend…and sister sent me bags from NY…and I hope to make more pillows. or even line picture frames with the burlap. Lots of ideas for burlap! xoxo, Carrie and Angie

• jenney October 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

The neat thing about pillows is the lack of wasted fabric! I’ve been decorating my living room and have a million swatches that I might use for something like this: http://www.novica.com/itemdetail/index.cfm?pid=172992
        I don’t think I have the patience to stencil by hand!

• Angie & Carrie October 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

The stencil was the easy part! :) I don’t have a silhouette or anything fancy so I did it by hand. Super easy, I promise! :)

• Mohammad July 10, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Happy Monday! I love starting my week with a party :) I likend up my Tiered Terra Cotta Planter — its painted with spring colors, but it would be fun to make it with green hues for St. Pat’s Day. Any takers?

12. Cheryl September 30, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

I absolutely love this idea…thank you so much for showing us how you did it. I love quotations and would love to make some pillows like this for our family room…similar ones are so expensive in the stores. Can’t believe you were able to whip this up in just a half hour…now that’s the kind of project I like! Great post…
    Cheryl at My Sister’s Cottage

• Angie & Carrie October 3, 2011 at 6:10 am #

It was so easy to make Cheryl….I love easy projects. :) xoxo, Carrie and Angie

13. Shannon September 30, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

I love, love, love the saying on your pillow! Please visit my blog and maybe you will be able to figure out why I love the words so much! Also, GREAT PICS! I’ll be back!

14. Jenna September 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

Oh, this is really cute! I really like that phrase you used…Pinning this!

• Angie & Carrie October 3, 2011 at 6:09 am #

Thanks for the pin Jenna!!! :) xoxo, Carrie and Angie

15. Courtney October 1, 2011 at 6:43 am #

Super cute- your pillow came out darling! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

• Angie & Carrie October 3, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Thanks for hosting the party Courtney!!! xox, Carrie and Angie

16. Rhonda October 2, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Love this – I have some burlap lying around and now I know what to do with it. Thanks for the tutorial!

Rhonda @ home.made.

• Angie & Carrie October 3, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Thanks Rhonda! Burlap is the best material out there…endless amounts of ideas!! Thank you for sweet comment! xox, Carrie and Angie

17. Windows And Doors Toronto October 2, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

Cheap yet beautiful decorations. The pillow gives different look to the room.

18. Heather @At The Picket Fence October 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

So, so cute and definitely a better price! lol Great job on the pillow and thank you for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!

Heather

• Angie & Carrie October 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

Thanks so much Heather!! We love your blog! xoxo, Carrie and Angie

19. Hubert February 26, 2013 at 1:31 am #

Hello,

this is Hubert from hometipsworld.com .

Just to let you know that we featured your great post on our home tips site here:

Best Regards,

Hubert

20. Sarah March 18, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

I love this tutorial… thank you so much! I am looking forward to making some burlap pillows this weekend. How did you paint on the burlap without it bleeding through to the back piece? I know it sounds like a silly question but I am trying to decide if I cut the fabric and paint it first and then sew it together. thanks

• Insaf July 10, 2014 at 7:09 am #

themed scrapbook paper. I now have oeldos of Halloween paper begging me to use it. When I found a paper pumpkin tutoriala0at I Heart Naptime, I knew I was in business. She provides a video tutorial, but these are so dang

1. How To Make A Cute Graphic Burlap Pillow - February 22, 2013

[...] Burlap Pillow {tutorial} Comments commentsPowered by Facebook Comments Filed Under: 00 s, Decoration, General, Sewing Tagged With: burlap Sign Up Now forFree Updates [...]

2. 116 Homemade Pillows DIY | Rilane - We Aspire to Inspire - February 13, 2014

[...] pillows | 58.DIY Throw-pillow covers 59.Baby DIY Projects | 60.DIY GOLD PAINTED PILLOWS 61.Burlap Pillow | 62.Ponytail Pillow 63.How to Paint Pillows, The Easy Way | 64.Strawberry pillow 65.DIY – [...]