Silver saves the day

25 Oct

You probably remember the hard work that was required refinishing this desk…

and the ugly red/orange paint debacle I shared with you yesterday.

But on to happier times…

This desk that once saw tragedy is now a beautiful piece of work – in silver.

Martha Stewart Precious Metals Paint in the shade Silver Leaf finished off with Valspar antiquing glaze in Asphaltum.

Miraculously, the glass top survived our move from Los Angeles.

Here she sits alone in my office that will be decorated soon.

I just love her.

She’s a beautiful deep silver and the antiquing gives emphasis to all her curves and features…ornate feet, round sides and deep grooves.

This room is a little sitting area attached to our master bedroom. It will serve as my office and also as my dressing room. I can’t wait to blog away on my laptop here….or maybe also use her as make-up vanity. I can sit here like a queen for a day and powder my nose.

This area is still a blank canvas and needs lots of work.  I haven’t really done much other than hang two pictures.  So much to do including finding a chair and decorating more. I am thinking of making it very glam with a gallery of large ornate frames on a wall and maybe adding a fluffy rug.

If you are interested in using the Martha Stewart Precious Metals paint, it was a dream to work with in terms of quality and rich color choices.

However the metallic paint easily leaves brush and roller marks. I used a small dense foam roller designed to leave minimal marks and still had to be very cautious.

I found it best to use exceptionally thin layers to help reduce marks.

So I am dying to know…what do you think?!  Do you like the silver?

29 Responses to “Silver saves the day”

1. Katie @ Wildwood Creek October 25, 2011 at 6:12 am #

The silver is beautiful! Love the idea of using this space as a glam office/dressing room.

• Angie & Carrie October 25, 2011 at 7:16 am #

Thanks Katie!! The area is an entry way to our master bedroom… so not sure how my husband will feel about walking into a frilly room every day but guess he’ll have to get over it. ha! :)

2. Deborah October 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

Be still my heart!! What a stunningly beautifully designed desk…your upcycle is FABULOUS!

Deborah ♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you’ll drop by and say hi!)

3. Janet October 25, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

The desk looks awesome like it was meant to be the way it is now! What I want to know and please write me the answer at my e-mail where did you get the sofa. I need a new sofa and I have looked everywhere I want that one!

• Angie & Carrie October 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Thanks Janet! I have had that couch for probably at 7-8 years! It still looks like new because no one will sit in it because it is so uncomfortable. It is probably the most uncomfortable and awkward couch I’ve ever sat on. But I’ve kept it because I love how it looks! It is the prettiest color and the fabric on it is gorgeous – it’s a rich velvety soft fabric. I bought it in at Eurway in Austin, Texas. I am not sure if they have other locations. Their website is http://www.eurway.com/ Good luck! –Angie

4. Jenna October 25, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

Oh, yes! I LOVE the silver! It’s so glam in the best of ways. Now I want a silver desk… :)

5. Molly October 26, 2011 at 7:51 am #

i’m not usually a commenter, but I must say that silver dresser is fabulous. my children and current housing lacks the space, thus preventing me from taking on such a task. I am envious.

• Angie & Carrie October 26, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Thanks so much for commenting Molly!! It makes our day!!! :) xoxo, Carrie and Angie

6. mommahen October 27, 2011 at 3:38 am #

wow, love the color. I’ve never seen a desk like that, with feet.

• Angie & Carrie October 27, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Thanks Momma Hen! I found it at the huge Rose Bowl flea market in Pasadena and JUST had to have it! I have never seen one like it before either. I think I’ll probably keep it forever! :)

7. amy October 28, 2011 at 4:01 am #

i LOOOOOOVE the silver! and that desk is just AH-mazing!

totally impressed,

amy

8. Pamela Bates/Mercantile Muse October 31, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

Love it! it looks gorgeous. all the hardwork paid off.

9. Maridith October 31, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

BEAUTIFUL! Actually it is not just beautiful it is stunning. Fantastic job and what a labor of love too. Question. I just went looking for some tinted glaze and could not find any at Home Depot. Where did you get yours from?

Thanks so much for linking up to Strictly Homemade Tuesday. This is such a wonderful piece to share!

10. Janel Hutton@hatingmartha November 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

This is stunning! Very reminiscent of Restoration Hardware! I will be stealing your paint combination to see if I can’t recreate that beautiful silver finish…this is so beautiful! Great job!

11. Megan November 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm #

I love the color! I was actually just looking at several of these Martha colors! The choices are fabulous!

12. Jan #SouthernJunkin' November 2, 2011 at 10:14 am #

Oh yes, I looooove the desk!! I’ve not tried the paint but now I can’t wait to give it a go!! Thanks for sharing the paint tips!

13. cassie November 2, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

wow- so glamorous with that shape, those feet, and that awesome silver finish! beautiful work!

14. VIcky November 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Very chic and the feet are definitely a conversation piece. Great transformation :)

15. LIB November 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Absolutely salivating!
    stupendous!
    BLessings

16. ashlee November 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

are you kidding?! i LOVE the silver! new reader. found you via kindra’s tuesday link party.

• Angie & Carrie November 3, 2011 at 6:47 am #

Thanks Ashlee! We are a new reader to your blog as well! Love your new header – totally hilarious! I think my husband could say the same for my garage. – Angie :)

17. Courtney November 3, 2011 at 2:23 am #

It certainly does look fit for a queen!! Beautiful job!! Bet you can’t wait to style it up, if you haven’t already!

• Angie & Carrie November 3, 2011 at 6:43 am #

Thanks Courtney, I have it blinged out already… and I do feel like a queen sitting there! I didn’t know it was possible to love a piece of furniture so much! -Angie

18. KristyJ January 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Love the silver..looks amazing. Love the woman & wine painting! I have several pieces from Kathy!

• Angie & Carrie January 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

Thanks Kristy!! Several pieces!??!? You lucky little thing!!! My Women & Wine is my most prize possession on earth. Even though I’m happy married, it reminds me of my prior life of going out with my girlfriends, drinking a million sugary cocktails and dancing all night. It was so much fun and we didn’t have a care in the world back then! The girls in the painting remind me of us..getting all dolled up and having the time of our lives. Maybe one day, I’ll splurge and get another Kathy Womack! – Angie

19. Tien Mitter May 5, 2013 at 1:49 am #

A foam roller is cylindrical device constructed from dense foam. Originally, athletes used foam rollers to compress and massage very specific areas of muscle tension and pain. These areas, called trigger points (or more commonly known as a knot) develop over time and must be untangled to recover muscle to its original length. A muscular knot is a muscle that’s tangled-up in the fascia of our skin. Regular massage of trigger points sends signals to the brain to start a process called myofascial release, which frees your muscle from your surrounding fascia.’:

Please do visit our new web-site
    <http://www.acnetreatmentlab.com/

20. Carmella Roux June 25, 2013 at 5:46 am #

Please tell me the name of the artist of the picture of the three women laughing! I LOVE IT and have been trying to find out how to get one! I own a furniture consignment store and a small unsigned one was consigned and ever since have been trying to find out how to see their work! I love the happiness it portrays, even if the wine was the reason! :)

• Carmella Roux June 25, 2013 at 5:48 am #

LOL! I should have read the other comments! Kathy Womack!

1. Tuesday’s DIY: 10 Minute Chair Makeover | TwoFriendsTwoCitiesOneVision - February 6, 2012

[...] the same silver I previously used on this desk: [...]