Handmade Christmas {fabric garland}

29 Nov

This year might be my most favorite as far as decorations in my home.

Up until a year ago, I’ll admit, I really didn’t decorate for Christmas in a way that matched my personality.

I decorated by following, looking at what others were doing, thinking that was ‘me.’

It’s not.

Alot of decor decisions I make are out of the box…but I like that about me.

This year I completely revamped my tree.  I have boxes of unused ornaments in the garage.  A sea of red bows that need a new home.

My tree is mainly white with various shades of green, mercury glass ornaments, and a touch of leopard.

I absolutely adore it.

And then there’s the mantle.  I’ve stared at it for 2 weeks, wondering what I should do to blend it with the rest of my home.

I collect nutcrackers…The Wizard of Oz and the characters from the Nutcracker ballet.  They fit nicely across my mantle but not for much longer.

As my daughter and I were getting ready for her Nutcracker rehearsal, I had the idea to make a vintage garland from some of my favorite pieces of fabric.  I grabbed the fabric and scissors and out the door we went.

And the project began as I watched her practice Sunday evening…

Tearing strips of fabric, leaving the frayed edges in place, tying on a string of twine…

I could not be more in love with this garland…

Adding small white lights (battery powered, no strings!)

Finally hanging 2 winter white velour stocking purchased from Pottery Barn two years ago.  I need 2 more because for some reason, I bought 2 white and 2 red.  I don’t know why I did that.  (Need 2 gorgeous cream and red velour stockings?  They are for sale for a very cheap price.)

My Dorothy and Lion…

I am working on one more handmade Christmas this week.  I’ve stared down the pile of fabric for over 2 weeks now.  Hopefully it won’t be as tedious as I think it will be, ha!

Happy Tuesday, friends!

Do you have any handmade Christmas projects you want to share?  Send them to us!

xoxo,

Carrie

Between Naps on the PorchDIY ShowoffDomestically SpeakingFinding FabulousFunky Junk InteriorsHouse of HepworthsMiss Mustard SeedMy Backyard EdenPerfectly ImperfectPrimitive & ProperRemodelaholicSAS InteriorsShabby NestWhipperberryToday’s Creative BlogThe Thrifty HomeSavvy Southern StyleSome Day CraftsEisy MorganGreen Door Designs,  At Home with KHome Stories A2Z

27 Responses to “Handmade Christmas {fabric garland}”

1. Shawn November 29, 2011 at 5:31 am #

Love this SO much! Going out to buy some Christmasy fabric today. :)

2. KAM November 29, 2011 at 10:14 am #

I just found your post from the Holiday crafts party. I love your garland! Such a neat idea. I may try this myself! Thanks for sharing.

• Angie & Carrie November 29, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Thank you Katie! I really love it too! :) Can’t stop staring at it! Thank you for saying HI to us!! xoxo, Carrie and Angie

3. Jessica November 29, 2011 at 10:22 am #

Gorgeous! I have never seen this done before… very talented you are! xx

4. Andrea @ Vegvacious November 29, 2011 at 10:39 am #

I LOVE this so much girls!!! Pinterest has totally motivated me to try my hand at some christmas crafts. I’m heading straight to Walmart after work to see if I can get my hands on some fabric to make my very own garland!!

• Angie & Carrie November 29, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Thanks Andrea!! Go get you some fabric! :) I wish our Walmart carried fabric still. For some reason they stopped a few years ago.

5. Diane @ home sweet homemade November 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

it’s adorable and looks so sweet with the dolls and toys – couldn’t be merrier!

• Angie & Carrie November 29, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

Thank you! It passed the ‘husband test’ too! :) Thank you for stopping by to say HI!! xoxo, carrie and angie

6. Sherika Alston December 1, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Love this! Great job! I would love for you to come link up today at Passionatelyperfect.com

7. Karen December 1, 2011 at 8:44 am #

This looks so cool, and what a great way to use up little scraps!

8. Shannon akadesign December 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

awesome way to use scraps!
    shannon

• Angie & Carrie December 2, 2011 at 6:07 am #

thanks Shannon! Thank you for coming to say HI! xoxo, Carrie and Angie

9. cassie {hi sugarplum} December 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Your garland and mantel are so pretty! thanks for linking up!

• Angie & Carrie December 3, 2011 at 5:51 am #

Thanks Cassie! An impromptu project that actually turned out great! :)

10. Gina December 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

I saw your fabric garland through a link party…Can’t remember which one…I loved your idea and finally made it to JoAnn’s today to buy some fabric! Can’t wait to see how it turns out! ~ gina

11. Shiloh December 7, 2011 at 10:09 am #

I love that garland! It may be out of the box, but it’s no less Christmasy.:) I think it goes perfectly on your mantel.

12. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} December 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Love it! The different fabrics are perfect together.

Thanks for linking up to this week’s Catch a Glimpse party. I’ll be featuring it tomorrow.

13. Becky December 9, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Love the mix of fabrics you used–perfect! Thanks for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

14. Carrie ~ The Corson Cottage December 9, 2011 at 10:33 am #

This is so cute! I love the use of modern fabric. I would love you to share this at The Corson Cottage for our {Home for the Holidays} link party.

15. Barb December 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

Your garland is so pretty – I think I’ll try one of these next year!

16. New Year 2013 Sony Camera Deals November 30, 2012 at 7:40 am #

Fashion Courses Online… we like to honor other sites on the web, even if they arent related to us, by linking to them. Below are some sites worth checking out…

1. Handmade Christmas Garland Creations - December 12, 2011

[...] of 221 Vision created this handmade whimsical Fabric Garland using scraps of colorful and fun fabrics.  Leaving [...]

2. DIY :: Simple Stockings | TwoFriendsTwoCitiesOneVision - December 16, 2011