DIY :: Entry Table & Annie Sloan’s

6 Mar

After searching Craigslist, thrift stores, and everywhere in between, I found this table at Marshall’s…when I didn’t even go to Marshall’s looking for a table.

Isn’t that how it always goes??

This table was the perfect width for my entry.  And I almost passed it up too.  Then this picture flashed in my mind:

Benedetta 58 inch Console

A Ballard Designs table for 4 bones.  $400.

And I paid $100 for mine.  Go ahead and scream…I did.

ballard design console table

I bought a sample size of the most beautiful Antibes Green Annie Sloan’s paint for $9.99.  I debated on getting the quart but at $38 and not really wanting an entire house of green furniture, I stuck with the 4oz sample size and prayed to the paint gods that it would cover the entire table.

And down to the last drop of paint, the table looked like this:

annie sloan antibes green

And distressed with american walnut colored stain:

Here she sits, partially styled.  I’m looking for more industrial lamps and a couple Fu Dogs (thanks to Angie for introducing those to me!)

Antibes Green is the most perfect vintage green I’ve ever found!

xoxo,

Carrie

Today’s Creative Blog Tip Junkie, Home Stories AtoZ, Blah to Beautiful

7 Responses to “DIY :: Entry Table & Annie Sloan’s”

1. Mrs. Limestone March 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

The table looks great but Im kind of missing the joke about this paint brand. Everyone seems to rave about it but is it really worth 10x the price of any other kind of paint. Im not seeing much of a difference in the photos but maybe its hard to see. What do you think?

• Angie & Carrie March 6, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Hey Stefanie!! My two cents on the AS chalk paint? Is it a bit over hyped? Yes. Is it a over priced? Yes. Will I buy a quart for $38 to paint only 1 piece in my home? No. But…I do love 2 things about this paint. The first being the colors. The colors are really beautiful, tinted perfectly and it is very difficult (at least for me) to find the perfect blue-red and the perfect green that I used on this table. I searched all my paint books trying to find a green similar…and even sampled 2 greens that looked florescent. Totally not the look I was going for. The second thing I like about this paint is it goes on like a dream, not a brush stroke in sight…and you don’t need primer…but I never prime furniture to begin with so that’s not a selling point for me. I also do not buy the soft wax they recommend for distressing. It is $26 for a small tub. I can get the same effect using gel stain and some sandpaper. Some people also use chalk paint to paint their walls…personally, that would never happen because it is so expensive. It’s definitely worth getting a sample size to try out on a table or mirror if you are curious. :) And I still rely on my Benjamin Moore paint book for all my projects. Those colors are spot-on for me. Talk to you soon!! Carrie

2. Ginny March 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Hello, I have a question for you. I am considering repainting my current bedroom furniture. We bought our furniture over 10 years ago at Gallery here in Houston. It is not cheap paneling, but it is not pure oak either if you catch my drift. It’s decent furniture that needs to be touched up. I understand that you can skip the sanding process but still have a little prep work. What are your thoughts on skipping this step when repainting furniture? Sanding would be the bigggest undertaking for a frame, armoire, lamp tables, and dresser/mirror.

Thanks!

• Angie & Carrie March 9, 2012 at 6:00 am #

If you ask Angie, she might say Sand, Prime, Paint. If you ask me, I would skip the sanding, and prime first since it may not be wood, then paint. Veneer can totally be painted but I would definitely prime first. I usually never prime on wood furniture and have only painted 1 piece that was veneer and it turned out great. :) I hope that helps!! -Carrie

3. katie goldsworthy March 11, 2012 at 8:23 am #

That is awesome!!! I love it!

Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living!

–Katie

4. Becky March 13, 2012 at 5:33 am #

I love to see projects done with Annie Sloan!! Apparently the beauty of this product is no sanding, no priming. Ever! No matter the surface. I wouldn’t waste my time sanding or priming because if your using this product your looking for a distressed look, the more distressed the better I always say!! But just so you know I’ve painted crappy plastic cabinets and no problems after 5 years. (painted with a like paint, not ASCP, so it can be done) I say paint away!!!

5. Ryan December 9, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Do you know the dimensions of the entry table (lenght-width-depth)? Thanks, looks great!